Pregnancy is the epitome of changes. From the first time knowing you are pregnant until the last time, it’s all a roller coaster. You need as much information as to help you manage this period.
Most people already understand what to drop, like that bottle of wine and the smoke. You also have to start looking into your diet. What you might not know, though, is how the skincare routine during pregnancy. That is where this article comes in.
It looks into the changes during pregnancy. It then observes the products to use and the ones to let go.
Skin changes during pregnancy
Skin changes are more of a formality during pregnancy. During this period, the body undergoes several hormonal changes.
One of the changes during the period is increased sensitivity. You suddenly start reacting to what was once your favorite cologne. The skin also becomes more irritated. To some, they have grown body spots and pimples.
Keep your doctor close at these times. Any excess body changes need the doctor’s attention. Processes like psoriasis treatment and eczema treatment need professionals.
The body changes, however, do not apply to everyone. Some people go through the whole nine months in a perfect body. Others even have better skins when pregnant. Thus, you have to look for what works best for you.
Skincare products to use during pregnancy
- Azelaic acid. It is an antibacterial ingredient found in some acne products and rosacea treatments. It decreases pigmentation and redness on the skin. It has no known side effects hence safe to use.
- Grapeseed oil. It is a product found in dry skin oils and serums. It is a natural ingredient that can be used during and after pregnancy.
- Hyaluronic acid. This is the leading ingredient for skin hydrating and plumping. It is safe for both the mother and the unborn child.
- Lactic acid. It is an alpha-hydroxy acid found in exfoliating products. It has no known side effects.
- This is an alternative to the rosacea and eczema treatment options. It has Vitamin that helps reduce inflammation.
- Titanium dioxide, Vitamin C, and Zinc oxide
Skincare ingredient to avoid during pregnancy
Tetracycline. It is an acne treatment ingredient though it affects the baby’s teeth and bone growth.
Retinoids. The retinoids come in various forms like Renova, Retin-A, Differin, and many more. The ingredient can lead to congenital disabilities when the body absorbs it from the skin.
Salicylic acid. Most of the skin products have it in little proportions. It also doesn’t have as many effects. Still, most dermatologists advise against it. Avoid it to keep safe.
Hydroquinone. This is a topical skin whitening agent that gets absorbed into the body. It has no widespread effects on the body. Still, it is safer to avoid.
Benzoyl peroxide. It is one of the popular products used in treating acne. It, however, has varying effects on the user. Consult with your doctor before use.
The products you use during determines the experience you have. Choose healthy options for you and the unborn baby.